Thursday, February 27, 2014

I Didn’t Deserve That

I’ve spent a lot of time pretending to hate turning another year older; using it for joking purposes, but today my birthday was taken to a new level; a level I didn’t expect.

I have to say, I am overly blessed to live the life I do. I could name all of the blessings in my life like a laundry list, but I’m serious when I say that I fully comprehend how God has been more than good to me. I really don’t deserve the moments I have gotten to experience. I don’t have a journalism degree but had the opportunity to work as a journalist for almost 8 years. I don’t have a broadcasting degree but continue to work as a co-host of a morning radio show in the town I adore.

Out of these two positions have developed multiple relationships that I treasure. A plethora of education and knowledge of “how things work” ranging from politics to sewer systems. Opportunities have abounded for me from these platforms, but today I didn’t deserve what I got.

There’s a family in our small community. They are known by just about every person who has spent time in our town. They have no idea that they are so widely known…they just go about their daily lives as usual.

They are special to us in this small town because they are a family who have spent their lives living with disabilities that present its fair share of challenges. I watch Richard, the brother, walking through town on a daily basis pulling his cart behind him as he seeks cheap items at the flea market or yard sales, in hopes of turning a profit by selling on our morning Tradio show. This is a means of income for him, as I learned today.

His two sisters come to my church often and always greet me with a childlike love that is so sweet and innocent – purest to its core. They know me from the radio.

I recently visited with them at the funeral home when their mother passed away. I wanted to pay my respects and let them know their church body cared.

Today as we were celebrating my birthday on-air Richard was listening.

About an hour or more later I was at the dealership -my full time job - when my co-host Mark called me to alert me that Richard had walked to the radio station to hand deliver me a present.

I quickly grabbed my coat and made my way back to the station to accept my gift and see Richard.

After a few pictures were made, he showed me my gift of a novelty shelf with various Nativity pieces to display on it.  I realized this man took time out of his day to not only find something he owned that he found worthy to give me, but used his day to walk approximately 3 miles to hand it to me and say, “Happy Birthday.”

When most of us are in a such hurry to get from work to school to gym to grocery to ballgame to the next and the next and the next, leaving not enough time to stop and love the people around us properly, this person found me worthy enough of his time and possessions to present them to me. Overcoming the challenge of not being able to drive, not physically in great health, and not able to purchase anything elaborate…his heart’s desire was to give me something of his.

I don’t deserve that.

I’m not worthy of that.

I wish I could say that I was the same kind of person. The kind of person that would use what I had to make someone else feel their worth.

I told you earlier that Richard and his sisters have lived with disabilities, but today what I realized is their disability is really a blessing in some ways. To be able to love with a childlike heart, to not be caught up in the rat race of this world, to be shielded from the complex issues that consume our news channels. I can’t imagine being able to have such simplistic love.

When I took him home this morning he kept thanking me for spending time with them at the funeral home. He kept saying he enjoyed listening to us in the mornings. When he went to tell me good-bye, he bowed before me like a true gentleman.

My heart gushes. I cried with such deep emotion all the way back to the dealership.

The real gift Richard gave me today was the insight of taking time for a person.

Life is very simple…respect people. For all, no matter our mental capacity, can understand love and respect.

In other Birthday Business:

I received a lot of love today that just makes me blush due to the feeling of unworthiness and yet sheer thankfulness.

The morning got started with bathroom mirror love…that’s right, my baby does it right!

And then a love note on my dressing table.

All three babies found momma and gave big hugs without me having to ask for them this morning…

My co-worker Todd started off the morning with a big ole Happy Birthday and vending machine cupcakes! Best .75cents he spent today!

My radio ranchers did breakfast RIGHT!

And followed up with ice cream cake! Whaaattt??

My manager at the dealership sliced Heaven and put into a cardboard container…it’s called Arby’s!
My mother-in-law is faithful to send us all birthday cards, but the best gift was her good report at the doctors today. 

And I ended my night on a date with Uncle Ben!

Got home to a sweet little ensemble from my neighbor sister.

I had lots of facebook/email/text love today; one of the many reasons why I love social media.

The husband is still working…he says I have a surprise this weekend….

I embrace 38! However, you can keep 39…I’m not going.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, this story had me in tears. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it comes to articles that are beautifully worded, morally inspiring and emotionally uplifting....this story is among the best. Loved every aspect of it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your kind words!!!

      Delete