Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Boy Wept

“I just have to tell you that I hear good things about your son,” said the man in front on me at Captain D’s.

I always enjoy hearing compliments about my children but this one pulled back the curtain of his very character and excited me as a parent…a parent who wonders each day if we are doing all we can to raise up our children in the way they should go, and in the love and admonition of the Lord.

The man’s son was standing behind him and began to tell me what he had witnessed from the Boy.

The young man telling the story just happens to be an assistant coach of the Boy’s basketball team. The Boy’s coach has dubbed him and another boy the “heart of the team,” because he has been a great encourager all year to his teammates, but this compliment ran deeper in this momma’s mind.

The ball team was playing the first game of the area tournament. The teams were tied in score and one of our players, Spencer, hit the winning shot!

As the team was loaded on the bus and making their way home, he was anxious to call me to share the details of Spencer’s winning shot, he was so proud for him.

The assistant coach began to share in the lunch line that after Spencer made the winning shot he turned and looked at the very excited team and he noticed the Boy was crying.

He wept…the Boy wept for his friend.

When I say this I am reminded of myself being a child and being called to the front of the church where we all were to recite a piece of scripture; 99% of us said “Jesus wept” every Sunday. We recited it because it is the shortest piece of scripture in the Bible, and we youngsters found no time to spend throughout our week to learn new scripture. But what I learned in just recent years is just how profound these two words are.

In the story of Lazarus, Jesus wept because he could feel the pain of those around him who were mourning at the death of Lazarus. Jesus knew that he was going to raise Lazarus from the dead but scripture said he was deeply moved in his spirit; he loved Lazarus and his family so deeply that he was moved with compassion and he wept.

The Boy is not Jesus, but what I see in his weeping is his spirit. Even though he was not mourning in this situation, he was moved in his spirit with love and compassion for his friend Spencer that he was proud for him, excited for him; deeply moved to the point that he wept.

Jesus came to teach us to love one another, and through love will we reach out and be the hands and feet of Christ, will we be able to feel so deeply for others that we weep in good and bad times, and feel compelled to be the comfort to those down trodden, we will change a world when we can feel for others, not just do for others.

I see the Boy’s ability to love and it makes me proud to see a glimpse of what a child looks like when they are raised in the love and admonition of the Lord. I’m appreciative of God’s ways and the people in our lives that live those principals in front of our children; helping raise them.

1 Corinthians 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not love, I am become as sounding brass, or a clanging cymbal.
2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not love, I am nothing.
3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not love, it profits me nothing

I think this scripture shows us that what people really want is just someone to love them, feel for them, help them, rejoice with them...we were created to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment