Thursday, August 15, 2013

Today, I Lay Down the Microphone

Sometimes in life we are offered things that seem too good to be true. This has happened to me multiple times, even when I didn’t realize it at first.

K105 was one of these things.

I entered this building on Feb. 20, 2006 29 years old, separated from my husband and looking for a steady income. What I found was a world that I never knew I would live-in.

The first thing I found was God, then a restored marriage and a recreated me, with a renewed mind. Those things were not from K105 but were the reason the rest of the path into this new world ended up the way it has. When God is first, you are good, you are humble, you are kind, you can love the way God loves and that makes life better.

Without a college education or any idea what/where news came from, I fumbled my way through news story after news story – reacquainting myself with all the grammar and English lessons I ignored in high school. As time went on I found my footing in this fast moving world of media meets radio – which both in their own right is a freight train barreling down a hill, and I’m the grasshopper clinging to the side of a coal car.

I laugh when people call to complain about the station off-air for a minute, or a missed program…I laugh because they have no idea how many things could go wrong within the blink of an eye inside this studio, and how much work was involved to keep on-air all that is right for the day.

I’ve laughed, I’ve cried, I’ve prayed on-scene more than anyone ever knew, I’ve thrown in my 2 cents when elected officials seemed to be in need of it, and I’ve even surprised myself on how much I could love something that wasn’t human.

I’ve scream at my scanner in the middle of my sleep when bus drivers and utility crews decided it was a cell phone. I camped-out at emergency management headquarters during the Ice Storm 2009 because there were monumental amounts of chocolate donated. I walked through a cow pasture, in the rain with a cow paddle, covering a fire, and stood in tornado invaded land while wearing the fire chief’s over-sized coat. I’ve watched hundreds of people be rescued by our local first responders, citizens go toe-to-toe with politicians, a community come together to celebrate fiddle playing, freedom, bicentennial milestones, and even wore a costume or two. Picket lines, dirty cops, underpaid cops turn hero, triumphant victories, amazing athletes and mathletes, new schools built, old schools torn down, businesses come and go…I’ve seen just about anything, everything, even my fair share of death and new life born.

I’ve even stood beside the Governor and chatted about all the great things Grayson County is…

This is one of my favorite photos I ever captured, this fireman was one of several that worked for over two hours to remove a man from an entangled car after a head-on collision; it was the middle of summer.

I’ve made the best friends of my life in this job.

And this guy:

He’s my boss-brother…I don’t have a brother so I claim him. I imagine our relationship is much like that…I want to kill him sometimes but I dare you to even consider it. He’s the idiot that hired a no-skilled, uneducated girl that he saw something in when she didn’t, but knew she had a gift for gab, if nothing else.

It’s kicking and screaming I am leaving this position.

Sometimes in life other “too good to be true” opportunities arise and you have to, at least, try them. So, with the heaviest heart I have ever had, I am leaving this one-of-a-kind job and headed to be the Internet Sales Manager for a local dealership.

They say money talks; I guess this time I have to shut up and let it.

Thank you for listening, thank you for allowing me to tell your stories, share mine, and intrude your airways.

God is good, all the time…

3 comments:

  1. Go with God sis & always remember to smile... <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being there to tell our stories, and for being there to brighten up our scenes. We'll miss you to, best of luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you sister...your "hair brush" microphone at age 5 must've inspired you! You've done an outstanding job representing Grayson County and the air ways at K105...

    ReplyDelete