Monday, August 5, 2013

The Lot

It’s been a month since I have taken the time to pen about my life. So much has happened and many days just repeated themselves all the same.

We have a new recreational event at our house. The Lot next door has transformed into many things over the years: a football field, a baseball diamond, a golf green, etc. It’s really to dad’s discretion on how he wants to mow the vacant lot. But this month it got what appears to be a permanent fixture in the way of bike ramps.

There are multiple boys who live in the neighborhood – ages ranging from 7 – 18 – a few have moved away but return periodically to visit and play baseball in the lot. When the twins return, their friends from all across the county ascend on the neighborhood and the vacant lot across from The Lot becomes parking.

One afternoon as I was making the turn into my neighborhood, I noticed several boys standing with various tools in hand.
Upon closer view, I realized the group had spent the afternoon re-purposing the boy’s old skateboard ramps.

Dug into the small incline of The Lot was one ramp. Water had been hand delivered to cement the mud around the ramp.

Work went on for days to get these ramps “just right.” As I was leaving for a meeting one evening, I pulled out and saw this:
That’s my boy, my bike, my rain boots, and pretty sure that was my 2 liter of diet coke before it was reclaimed as a water hauler.

My garage was turned into a bike shop. Wheels have been removed, replaced, borrowed, shared and patched.

This bike ramping business is serious stuff, and apparently a bit hard on the ole tires.

I have watched this lot be a gathering place, a playground, a racetrack, and many other things. It’s amazing what kids can do with just their imagination and playmates.

Sure hope no one ever buys The Lot next door. I’m pretty sure when people drive through the neighborhood looking for a place to build; they see the neighborhood playground that lives there even though it’s nothing more than grass.

In other Thomas family business:

Both of my grandfathers died the year I was born, 1976. My grandmother died when I was 8 years old, and the only grandmother I ever really knew will be 99 in November and has been a cornerstone of our family. I cannot imagine losing her.

My husband was more fortunate; he was gifted the opportunity to know all four of his grandparents for most of his life. His grandmother Mary died when he was in college; this was the only grandparent I did not have the opportunity to meet, but I understand her worth to her family just through the stories. I did have the luxury of knowing the remaining three, in which I have also stood by my husband’s side and laid to rest over the past seven years. This weekend we paid our respects to his last grandparent, his Papaw R.V. I never had a grandfather but R.V. has always treated me as a grandchild, as did all of his grandparents. I loved his stories and enjoyed his wisdom. He was born in 1926 and has seen the most rapid changes this world has ever experienced in many ways from transportation to technology. He always spent Christmas with us, was the only coin collector I knew, and was one of the remaining WWII Veterans still alive. He will truly be missed.

R.I.P. Papaw – we love you…

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your Husband's Grandfather
    I had the opportunity to meet all my Grandparents and have them all with me up until last year. The only one remaining now is my Grandmother and she fell and broke her hip a few days ago. She's now in the nursing home and not doing well at all. It's so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear that, Angie!! Prayers she recovers quickly!!!

    ReplyDelete