Saturday, June 8, 2013

The Thomas' are Changing...

I ran into the courthouse, past the security guard and through the metal detector that screamed I was in violation, the guards waved me through, since they see me on a daily basis for work and are aware that the metal I am packing is a microphone attached to a recorder. I skidded to the left to ascend the spiral steps. High heels clomping all the way to the top and I see my Boy #2 standing in the hallway with his sister and aunt. I step into the large wooden door and for a second suck air before stepping into the next large wooden door.

I was late for our court date. I got stuck behind this tractor in traffic.

I would have left the station earlier but I got a phone call from a lawyer wanting information about a story I was working on. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

I make my way into the courtroom and hear the judge speaking to the parents about Boy #2 playing football next year. I quickly realize the day has come and God has answered prayers.

This Boy #2 came to us last April when we were awarded temporary custody of him. The situation is not my story to tell as to why he came to us, but he has been waiting to get to go home for a long time.

Yesterday he got to go home.

Our hearts grieve the silence in his bedroom downstairs, where he and cat were very happy. My babies already miss him being in the house, but he was so excited to hug his momma’s neck and hear her tell him he was going home.

Restoration is a good feeling.

Our day continued into the evening as the husband and I made our way out of town for a surprise 40th birthday party for a great friend of ours. As we were about ½ mile from home we topped a hill. In a matter of .27658 second I see a car full of kids and realize whoever is in the back seat needs to calm down. As the car approaches us I see hands waving.


I just look at my husband and say, “Did that just happened? Did we just pass our kids on the road?” Then I confessed my first thoughts of seeing the clown car pass us.

He told me he had given them money to go eat pizza.

When we returned home around 9:00 p.m. they were headed out of the door again screaming, “We’re going to eat.”



I got home from the gym and the eldest girl was sitting at her desk with her Taco Bell laid out in front of her like a buffet.

I remember that taste of freedom of having a car, my own money and the right to eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. Twas’ the life!

In other Thomas Family Business:

It’s been awhile since I have updated our family business so bear with me.

We attended a wedding over the weekend. My nieces took turns taking pictures of themselves with me. The little one is developing her skills with the iPhone.

Middle girl marched with the DECA crew in the Memorial Day Parade. The eldest girl had to work.

Middle girl got braces this week! She won’t let me add a photo. But she’s just as cute as a button…with brackets. She says her smile has's perfect either way.

I bought the kids a new trampoline this summer. So far, it’s been the neighborhood playground, a babysitter, and a bed. However, none of the boys who decided to sleep on it have made it all night, yet.

I bought a new summer hat. It’s been a big hit so far this summer. Just wish Mother Nature would allow summer weather to get here and stay here.

I had been praying about going back to college this fall and obtaining a different degree. I had prayed this to happen at the beginning of the year but it never worked out. This semester I started that prayer again, last week, after declaring in my prayer journal that I needed a definite sign from God, I received an email from the new college campus opening in my hometown. The title of the press release was “College to offer 27 classes this fall”

“Here’s your sign” – God

Have I ever told you how much I love my 27? I made an appointment this week and met with a councilor to go over my old college career and look at how that transports its way into my new adventure. She was so kind and we ended up in a conversation about the Lord and how her daddy was an old Baptist preacher. I looked down and under her desk was a box. On the side of this box was a huge blue 27. She was not the councilor I was scheduled to meet with, mine went home sick, but I know why I ended up at her desk. Her story about her daddy was an inspiration to me.

Sometime in the last week or so I discovered some news that will completely change me forever. Devastating but not consuming. However, as I was down in what some would call the midnight hour I decided to head to the gym and then the tanning bed. As I signed in, I realized I was #27 for the day. “I will never leave you nor forsake you” – God

Thanks, Jesus for reminding me that even in the darkest moments, you are there with me.

Before Boy #2 went home we celebrated his 14th birthday! We had some extra kids over, made birthday pancakes and went swimming at mamaws! It was a good day. He came to us at the age of 12 and has grown at least 9 feet since then. He got tickets to a water park for his birthday and Boy #1 bought him a My Little Pony card...he seemed to like it.

Lots of changes for the Thomas'. We sure are going to miss that Boy #2…

No comments:

Post a Comment